Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September TBR: How It Went

We made it to the end of September! A few weeks ago, I posted my TBR list for the month. Today, I'm going to look back and see how I did!



Check out my progress after the jump!



My original TBR list consisted of 7 books:

instagram.com/soromantical

Of these 7, I ended up reading 3... and 3 others that weren't on my list at all!

1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

I'm glad I finally picked this book up. I actually paid full price for it (gasp!) because I was itching to read one of her novels. It was perfect! One of my favorite parts was the first phone call between Eleanor and Park - the nervousness they both showed brought me right back to the first time I called a boy on the phone! I don't think teenagers understand that feeling anymore, because now all you have to do is send a text!

2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

After waiting weeks for this to finally arrive in the mail (and then being disappointed that they sent the original rather than new cover), I was very eager to start reading. It was slightly predictable - but I'm not sure if that was just because I'd read so much about the book before I started it. However, it was pretty good, and I'm glad I started the series.

3. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Of course, once I finished Anna, I had to start Lola immediately! This story was much more enjoyable for me, and I loved Lola's spunk! Another thing I noticed - Stephanie Perkins really has a knack for writing dreamy, perfect love interests for young adults! I'm really excited to read the third book in the series, Isla and the Happily Ever After, because Josh from book one comes back, and I had emoji-heart-eyes for him!

4. Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

This was my first leap into the world of Vonnegut. I'm still not quite sure about the point of the story, but it was fairly entertaining. The drawings were the best part, and I finally learned about the Vonnegut asterisk! Definitely going to find another of his books to read, just to see if they're just as kooky as this one was!

5. About A Boy by Nick Hornby

Two weekends ago I ended up in the city unexpectedly, without a book to read on the train ride home. So I stopped at one of my favorite book stores (BookOFF) to pick something up (they have a huge $1 selection) and that's how I ended up with this book! It was decent, somewhat depressing, but slightly uplifting at the end - which is what I've come to realize is the basic formula for a Hornby novel!

6. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

This was, by far, the best book I read all month, and absolutely one of my favorites of the entire year! Everything about it was perfect. I keep thinking of it as the Da Vinci Code of the bookworm world. I am currently in book hangover state because of this story, I don't want to start anything else yet so I can continue to daydream about Mr. Penumbra's amazing world. Oh and also, huge book-crush on Clay Jannon!


And that wraps up September! I knew from the start that sticking to my TBR list was going to be tough. I will buy something new or remember something I've had lying around for a while, and get excited to read those instead of what I'd planned.

Did you read anything fantastic this month? Come back later this week to see what I'll be reading in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment